Friday, June 10, 2011

Cinderelly

When do our children grow up to be adults?  Is there an answer to this age old question?  They grow before our eyes yet we don't see it til someone points it out to us.  The fact that we can't see what is right in front of us is disturbing.  These are the moments we need to treasure. 

One great way is to TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES.  Even the blurry and not so good ones, will help relive memories, and those 'brain pictures' will be crystal clear.  I have a patient with young children who is doing a great job of this.  Early in life, each month she takes a picture of her baby and toddler, and Chronicles their growth next to the same chair in each photo (that way it is easy to see their growth progress).  The changes over their short lives is amazing and this photo essay a great tribute to their growth.  I would like to thank her for sharing her childrens' development with us.

After 23 years practicing dentistry in the same small town, I have watched 'my kids' grow.  The other day one of my patients who was nine when I started, came in for a hygiene visit. Nothing amazing in this area, except that she came with her husband, three year old and five week old children (the others were in school).  I feel as if,  I've come full circle, and we are definitely a FAMILY practice.

My daughter's Senior Prom is tonight and she will die of embarrassment if she thinks I am writing about her, but it is my parental prerogative.  Where did the time go?   Unlike Cinderella who was transformed by woodland creatures and a fairy godmother in an instant, my beautiful young woman has slowly progressed into the beautiful Princess that she is.  And it has been one of the greatest pleasures of my life watching her blossom.

To borrow from Fiddler on the Roof:
(Tevye)
Is this the little girl I carried?
Is this the little boy at play?

(Golde)
I don't remember growing older
When did they?

(Tevye)
When did she get to be a beauty?
When did he grow to be so tall?

(Golde)
Wasn't it yesterday
When they were small?

(Men)
Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly flow the days
Seedlings turn overnight to sunflowers
Blossoming even as we gaze

Make Time to enjoy your seedlings, and enjoy watching them Grow.

Just Sayin'

No comments:

Post a Comment